Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Today I am the proudest mom!

It started when I got a call this afternoon from the school guidance counselor.

That's never a good feeling!

Especially when Caroline has been having issues with one little girl all year...let's just call her "mean girl"....

So, the guidance counselor was just giving me a heads up about an incident at school between Caroline and "mean girl" It seems they got into an argument about Caroline's aunts...and if they were married or not...Mean girl was insisting that girls could not marry girls and therefore Caroline was lying! Well, Caroline stuck to her guns and told "mean girl" that her aunts were married...

When I picked Caroline up from school, we obviously talked about it...the conversation went something like this....





Me:

So, Mrs. B. called today...she said that you and "mean girl"were arguing about something today...do you want to talk about it?


Caroline:

Yeah! "mean girl" was telling me that my aunts couldn't be married...and I told her "yeah they were"...and she told me "no, you're a liar" and she was being really mean and yelling at me...but all the other kids said they were on my side and they believed me...and then "mean girl" was really mad!...because she knew she was wrong! (Caroline then let out a little smirk!)

Me:

Well...Actually Boogie...Kristin and Mel aren't married...

Caroline:

(a look of total confusion came over her little face)...Huh?

Me:

Nope...they're not married!

Caroline:

What?

Me:

Well, a lot of people don't understand how a girl and a girl, or a boy and a boy, could love each other like mommy and daddy love each other....and because they don't understand it, they think it is not ok...
...so, most states, like where we live, there are laws that say that Kristin and Mel cannot get married.

Caroline: But they live together?

Me:

Yup...because they love each other, and they have loved each other even longer than mommy and daddy have...

Caroline:

But why do people think they can't get married?

Me:

Well, lots of Churches believe it's wrong for girls to love girls...so, people have made laws to keep them from getting married...

Caroline:

Well, that's not fair...what if the girls don't go to church?

Me:

(a little chuckle!) You know that's a good point...And you're right... I think, the people who make the laws, need to realize that all people don't go to the same church, or believe in all of the same things, but that doesn't mean that one is right or one is wrong...Just because some people can't get married in a church, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to be married...Even Me and Daddy weren't allowed to get married in a church...but we were still allowed to get married...

Caroline:

Mom? Do you think Barack Obama can change those laws?!!!

Me:

(I honestly felt my heart jump!) I hope so boogie!

No comments: