Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday Friend or Family Feature

Rhona!


I'm pretty sure not many women have a relationship with their mother in laws quite like the one Rhona and I have. What can I say, she's one of a kind!

Rhona is a very private person, so I won't spill too much dirt on her! How about I just tell you about the incredible friend she has been to me over the years!

While I was pregnant with Caroline, I was on bed rest...it was awful! I was soooo bored, and started getting soooo depressed. There was a point when I was like a little dog in the window waiting for Jud to get home! Anyway, that's when Rhona and I started talking...everyday! Many times more than once! I'm sure she had to have been bored out of her mind listening to me jabber, I mean what could I have possibly had to talk about? But she called every day. And everyday she listened. And it's been like that ever since. We still talk daily. She is the first person I call when the kids are doing something hilarious and she is the one I call when I need someone to just listen.

Rhona is an incredibly kind and generous woman. She is the type of person who would actually give a stranger the shirt (or parka, it's cold in MN!) off her back. She thinks very deeply about things...It took me awhile to get used to that!

I remember the first time I went home to meet her...she had her book group over and they were in heavy discussion in the living room, I was in the kitchen crying because I couldn't understand a word they were saying!

She is brilliant!

She is powerful!

But she tries to act like it's no big deal!

She is warm!

She is silly!

After knowing her for 11 years I still have no idea why she is known as Duck?


She is not afraid to stand up for what she thinks is right.

I think I've said this before, but the greatest compliment that Jud has ever given me, was when he told me I was starting to remind him of his mom...

Rhona is an amazing mother. Jud and his brother have so much respect and love for her and for all that she has sacrificed in order to make sure their needs were always met even if hers were not.

As a Bubbie she is truly awesome! She is responsible for our enormous book collection, although we do sometimes edit her book choices :) The kids adore her. She and Caroline have a very special relationship, which just pleases me to no end! I couldn't find a stronger, wiser, and more wonderful role model if I searched for a hundred years!

5 comments:

rebekah said...

I really hope to meet her someday!

-C said...

How wonderful for you to have such a close relationship with such an awesome and wise lady.

Julie said...

She sounds amazing!

rleibel said...

Well, family puzzles often get resolved in the most unexpected ways! All these years, I have wondered why you and Jud disappeared, and assumed you were in the kitchen rolling your eyes at how silly the living room conversation was that night.

The odd thing is, that conversation now does seem pretty silly to me in comparison to the talks you and I have about kids, family and life in general.

I so value our relationship, your wisdom - and you.

Thank you for your sweet words.

Love,

R

Jess said...

do you see why I love her?