Monday, January 12, 2009

Adoption

Adoption is really a complicated thing.

Looking back to when we first started the process to adopt in 2005 I think that Jud and I were very naive to the whole process. We thought very simply about a very complicated situation.

We knew we wanted to have more children, and we knew there were millions of children in the world who needed families. It seemed simple.

But nothing on this journey has been simple...

I'll admit we probably didn't read as many books about the great history of Ethiopia as we should have, or books about things like trans racial adoption or even attachment in adoption. Every book I started was quickly set down. I kept thinking what's the big deal? So she won't look like us, and she didn't grow inside of me, who cares? Why does it matter? This is my child. I will love her just as I love all of my children.

But now I am realizing that there was so much that I was missing.

So much that I hadn't prepared for, or even thought of...

I never could have imagined how much this whole journey of adoption would completely change me, my life, my family, and how I think of the world.

But it has.



OK I've been working on this post for almost two weeks...and I can never figure out just what I'm trying to say. Or how to say it. Then this morning I read THIS and well, Julie hit it right on the head! I think we must be neighbors in Crazy Town!! You have to read it! It's exactly right.

No comments: