Saturday, November 22, 2008

Rhona, AKA Bubbie!

I remember when Jud and I were dating...over ten years ago! (gosh do I feel old even typing that!) When things started getting serious, we drove to MN so I could meet his mom, Rhona. I was so nervous!

I heard how Jud talked about her, how strong she was, how caring she was, how incredibly supportive she was...I knew that she was an extremely important person in Jud's life (obviously)! but, what if she didn't like me???

Once we met, it took me all of two minutes to get over my nervousness, and realize that this incredible woman was not one who was going to judge me, that's just not her.

Honestly, in the ten years I've known her, I've never heard her say a negative thing about anyone!

Rhona's life has not been an easy one... if there where ever a person who deserved to hold a grudge, or the right to be a little spiteful, she would be that person. But she doesn't. She always sees the best in people. And with her sweet, nurturing, nature she accepts everyone as they are, doesn't try to change them, just tries to understand them.

Rhona and I pretty much hit it off from the start, we're very similar in some ways, and very different in others, but there is such a mutual respect for each other, even from those first days together, that our relationship has just grown over the years.

But really, I don't think there's any doubt that our relationship, kind of, stepped to another level, while I was pregnant with Caroline.

While I was pregnant, I was on bed rest...for a long time...I seriously thought I was close to losing my mind! But that's when Rhona started calling...and calling...and then I started calling her...and calling her...soon, we were talking everyday, usually several times!!! If I had a doctors appointment, I'd get in my car and call Rhona to give her the update. If I read something troubling,or I was freaked out about something, I'd call Rhona... She was my go to gal... my friend!


When it FINALLY came time to deliver, Rhona was supposed to be teaching a class, but instead she was on a last minute flight to Milwaukee because she just couldn't bear to miss the birth of her first grandchild! A memory we'll share forever!


Rhons and Caroline










Once Rhona became a Bubbie...I think I began to love her even more. And the kids, oh my gosh! Bubbie is the bomb!!! Caroline was two years old, and she already knew Bubbie's phone number! Caroline would call and leave messages, always ending with "luv you bye!" (which Bubbie taped and recently gave me a tape of!)

The kids all love and adore Bubbie! As do Jud and I!!! She is such a huge positive influence in all of our lives. Caroline and Bubbie, definitely have a very strong bond! Which I just love! And I hope that over the years just gets stronger...(as long as you don't encourage her to dye her hair green!)

What a better role model for Caroline to have? A strong, independent, loving, and secure woman...oh I hope Bubbie rubs off on her!


The girls again!





Really, knowing Rhona, has changed me as a person, I have learned to think about things I never really thought about before, care about things I never really cared about before, and love much deeper than I ever have before.


In the last, probably two years, I have gone through a sort of moral makeover...just trying to think more about others and less of myself...give more, take less...and in the midst of this "transformation" one day, Jud told me that I reminded him of his mom! I smiled, I was so proud of myself! I felt like I had made it! To be compared to you....well, it's the best compliment anyone could ever give!


Rhona, I love and respect you, I admire your strength and courage, I am honored to be your daughter ( even if it's only by law!)

I Love you! For who you are...For who you are to me! To the kids! And to stubborn old Jud! You are one incredible BUBBIE! And one amazing Mom!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!


I Love you !

2 comments:

-C said...

What an awesome post. Your kids are lucky to have such a wonderful Bubbie.

ps. I was reading your archives and got a little carried away and wrote a comment to a post that is over 6 weeks old. Sorry- just didnt want you to think that I was losing my mind :)

Christina said...

*sniff* What a beautiful post.