Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When exactly does Mommy come home???

Full Disclosure: This is not Jess. Nor would I ever claim to be as adroit at the 'blogosphere' as she is. You're stuck tonite with a guest blogger. Hopefully there's more critical acclaim than criticism. . .

Sunday evening we decided that Jess should go to Florida to be with her parents. She left on Monday morning. Her Dad is in the hospital and she felt it was important to be there in person, as much to be with her Mom as to support her Dad.

She got down there safely, and we are both really glad she went. Jess has one of the biggest, most caring hearts of anyone I've ever met. She saw that her parents wouldn't ask for her to come with their words, but in hearing her Mom's voice she knew she should go.

The Snyder gang was stuck with me at home for three whole days. I've always wondered exactly how Jess does it. I still have absolutely no clue.

We started out on Monday with the boys in school, but Caroline was home and had a doctor's appointment at 1:30 to make sure the pneumonia was cleared up. Following the doctor's examination, She is now on a second course of antibiotics to make sure we got the last bits of it. For those of you playing the home version of the game, this means that Caroline, Jack and Sam are all taking that wonderful white, chalky Augmentin 2x a day. . . .

Emma, of course, is still 'strong like bull'. She rarely if ever gets sick . . .

Today, all of the kids had school, which would mean a couple of hours to get caught up on work. First though we needed to get up, get dressed, get breakfast and get out the door. For some reason, I've never appreciated the balanced effort it takes to keep four kids from melting down, while you dress, groom, feed and otherwise prepare them for school. This is an underappreciated art form. Somewhere between ballet, cattle herding and MMA*.

(*MMA is mixed martial arts. Don't act like you've never had a few beers and found yourself on the coach, watching TNT late at night. . . .)

The funniest part of the day was when Sam, Emma and I grabbed lunch after picking them up from K4 and preschool. We went to McDonalds and Sam needed to go to the bathroom. We all trooped into a stall in the men's room and when Sam was done and pulling up his pants, he noticed that he was wearing two pair of undies: pirates over boxers. . .

Tomorrow when I give him his new clothes, I'll make sure to specify that he should remove his old underwear before putting the new ones on.

Jack was missing his mom tonight. When he was going to bed he said he wished that she could be home in time to kiss him for bedtime tonight, not tomorrow.

I told him we all did. And we all do. Come home safely baby. We miss you.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG that was hilarious. Jess is a fantastic blogger but you definately should be a feature guest once in awhile. BTW what are you taking those kids to McDonald's for? I'm kidding. I know you are doing a fantastic job. You already know this but your wife does a fantastic job running that house and she makes it seem so effortless. I'm jealous.

Christina said...

lol...pirates over boxers? classic. I agree with Michelle: you should definitely guest blog :). Safe travels home Jess!

rebekah said...

Oh you poor poor guy. Just kidding, I've never been in charge of our large group of two children for 3 whole days alone. Nice job, really. Q's done the double underwear thing. Sometimes he just puts his clothes on over his pjs. I don't know how he does it.

Kristin said...

Made me laugh!! Just what I needed to cheer me up after working through on-call issues... =)

Thanks to both of you for arranging everything so Jess could be there for our parents. It meant so much to them, and to all of us!!