Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sad News

I have to say something about the huge loss the world suffered yesterday with the passing of Haregewoin Teferra.



I heard the news yesterday morning, and still I just don't know what to say...she was an amazing woman who stood up for children who had no one else.

You can read more about her here.

Or visit Charlotte to watch an amazing video featuring Mrs. Teferra.

I can tell you, I don't know of a single person who has read Melissa Fay Green's book There is no me without you, which focuses on, Haregewoin Teferra, who had opened her home and taken in hundreds of the untouchables thrown in the streets and left at her door, without being touched or changed somehow...

She had a huge impact on so many of our lives, and of course the lives of the hundreds of children she has taken in over the years...

She will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

rleibel said...

There is a wonderful story that appears in various Jewish mystical writings. The story is that there are always, in the world, 36 righteous people. It is for their sake that the world continues. They are called, in Yiddish, Lammed-vovnicks, after the Hebrew letter lammed, which in Jewish mysticism has the value 30, and the Hebrew letter Vov, whose value is 6. No one knows who these righteous people are, not even they themselves.

But sometimes, I think,we get a glimmer of who they might be.

rebekah said...

I know, I keep thinking about her.