Friday, June 13, 2008

Me, the movie critic!

Last night was a big night out for me! One of my friends was nice enough to invite me to tag along to a girls night out with a group of her friends...

It was really great to get out of the house for awhile, and be with other people...but it left me wondering, just how much have I changed?

We went out for dinner and exchanged the usually mom talk. How many kids, how old, what school, that sort of thing. Things I like talking about and like hearing other people talk about.

Then after dinner we went to see the Sex in the City movie.

Now, this is a movie had looked forward to seeing. I used to watch the show...I thought it was fun to sort of live vicariously through these women, who I had always thought seemed to have such great fun and exciting lives.

But last night, I don't know if it's me getting old or too much into mom mode, but I thought the movie pretty much stunk!

As I drove home after the movie, I wondered, did the movie really capture what the show used to be and represent? And if it did, why did I feel so differently towards these women? I used to watch the show and would try to identify with them in some way, but as I watched the movie last night, not only did I not see any similarities in our lives but I also felt like I was judging these women and their lives...perhaps because in a way I felt like they were judging me and my life.

There were a few things that really irked me. One was how many times Miranda, the busy attorney mom of 1, kept referring to stay at home mom's in such a negative way. Do people really still think that staying home means eating bon bons? And then the fact that everyone made such a big deal that Charlotte was finally by some miracle, pregnant...like now she was finally going to be a mom, even though she had adopted a daughter five years earlier...I thought it was hurtful.

So, anyone else that saw the movie, is it just me? am I PMS-ing or did this movie stink? The whole time I just kept thinking, come on there is more to life than labels, shoes, and having sex with other people! Isn't there? I couldn't stand how self involved and self serving these women who I once admired were. Did they change, or have I?

No comments: