Sunday, March 2, 2008

Our first INJERA!

This weekend Emma and I sampled our first Injera! The two of us, and another wonderful local family (who are going very soon to bring home their gorgeous little boy from Ethiopia!) went to an Ethiopian Restaurant that just opened downtown.

We had Injera, which is the bread of Ethiopia. (it's not much like american bread...especially the texture, Emma kept saying "look it's squishy!") The injera is meant to be a sort of "table cloth" and then the meal is served over top. You break off a piece of Injera and then scoop up the food, there are no utensils involved! Which Emma thought was very cool!

We had Iab (homemade cottage cheese), Doro Wat (chicken stew with hard boiled egg), Sega Wat (Lamb dices), I think a type of vegetable stew and something else very delicious and spicy but I have no idea what it was called or what was in it! -Patrick do you remember?

I was very interested to see if Emma liked the cuisine. Which she did indeed. (when she wasn't busy exploring the social scene!) She especially liked the Iab, which is a homemade cottage cheese....(I'm not sure if this is an Ethiopian taste she inherited or if it's growing up in Wisconsin!) She has recently also expressed a liking for coffee, (bunna in Amharic) which is typically served to children in Ethiopia...

She has gotten to the point where she steals sips, whenever I'm not looking. I have to admit, seeing these little tid-bits, these tiny little links to Emma's Ethiopian Heritage, become apparent.....it make me feel joyous, and wanting to know more....

All in all... the restaurant was great...the dinner was delicious...and the company was awesome!

I look forward to going back! Only, next time, maybe Emma and I will both know a few Amharic words!

1 comment:

KMS said...

Yummy! It's been a while since I have had some Ethiopian food. You've inspired me. I wonder if I could make injera...