Thursday, February 11, 2010

I never could have imagined.

I had always imagined that when we traveled to Ethiopia, we would pack as lightly as we could, so that we would have room in our baggage allowance to bring over donations for AHOPE.

This means something to me.

I think about the children at AHOPE everyday.

I know that AHOPE relies heavily on donations, and traveling families to deliver those donations. It made me happy to think that we are doing something, maybe not as much as I wish we could do, but something.

This week I sent an email out to the families in Sam's class, telling them about our upcoming trip. I told them that we were hoping to bring two large bags of supplies over to AHOPE and I asked if anyone would be interested in helping us fill these two bags.

These moms, most of whom I barely know, who have no idea about who AHOPE is or what they do, responded quickly and passionately...

Almost immediately after I pressed send on that email (an email I debated for a long time about even sending) I started getting emails back with questions about the donation list. What was most needed? What would be easiest for us to pack to bring over?

I feel overwhelmed with happiness and gratitude towards these women, these families.

I never imagined this response.

I thought maybe a FEW families would donate a FEW things...but I never imagined this.

I almost didn't send the email because I thought, we only have two bags to fill, we can do that. I would be happy to do that.

But somewhere inside of me this voice was telling me that my obligation was to do more than fill bags, it was to raise awareness, to whisper AHOPE into a few ears.

And I am so glad that I did. I only wish we had a larger bag allowance!

5 comments:

Calmil2 said...

Wow, that is awesome and you are right...spreading the word about wonderful AHOPE is most important :)

rebekah said...

YES!

hotflawedmama said...

That is fantastic! I'm getting so excited for you!

Me. Us. She. said...

Thank you for doing this and for thinking of Ahope and helping to raise awareness. We are adopting from Ahope. Would you mind sharing with me when you are traveling?
amandacox77 AT hotmail DOT com

M and M said...

Woot! We had the same experience when my son wanted to do something that reflected who he is - and so he took a HUGE suitcase full of deflated soccer balls. Local soccer teams heard about it and people wanted so much to partcipate. I think he ended up with 50 balls and some donated pumps. It was beautiful.