Wednesday, September 21, 2011

People living deeply have no fear of death. ~Anaiïs Nin, Diary, 1967

I have no idea who Anaiïs Nin is, but when I stumbled upon that quote today it struck me.  

This was how my Grandmother lived.   And she was not afraid.   She was genuine and loving in everything she did,  and we have been blessed to have been in her presence as long as we have.   Even though I will forever miss her quick wit, her incredible sense of humor, her loving smile, and really everything that made her, her, I know that she was not afraid.   She was ready.   I'm quite certain that my mom was waiting to greet her...two beautiful angels.

4 comments:

Calmil2 said...

Oh, this picture is so, so sweet. I can't believe how much she and Abby look alike.
Big hugs to you.

Rhona Leibel said...

Jess, You know how much I admired and respected your Grandma Marie. Her combination of kindness, sensitivity to other people, the wisdom to know how to act on that sensitivity and the courage to do so, is very rare. She did indeed live deeply in all the best senses. The world was a better place with her in it.

los cazadores said...

Beautiful, truly.

I'm really sorry for all the loss you've experienced. And I'm always at a loss when attempting to say something that matches or is deserving of the profundity of such loss.

But it sounds like you were so fortunate to have had these amazing, incredible women touch your life for the time they did and I'm sure you do and will carry their spirits with you.

Katie said...

what a beautiful picture Jess. The Chuck Jolly kids were talking this week how we have such vivid memories of Grandma Marie and Grandma Jolly weaving those lawn chairs with packer helmets on the backrest. She lived a wonderful life, surrounded by so many beautiful people...
Was thinking of your whole family during the wake.
Sending lots of hugs from Minneapolis.